Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Revolutionary (poem by Vernon Watkins)

The Revolutionary

I was that youth.  Now, from myself estranged,
After the revolution I was seeking,
I stop stone dead, to hear another speaking:
'Change nothing; you yourself must first be changed.'
I travelled seas and learnt to read a chart,
Knew how to navigate through dispossession,
The hardest straits, yet wrote in my confessions:
'All triumph was resisted by the heart.'
Much evil and much good remain, and yet
The heart has no immaculate remedy.
Life, to be won, is won less easily;
The stars remind us:'Your own eyes are set.'
Say of this patience that impatience gained;
'When others left their station, he remained.'
_________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment